XPD 2020 Is Cancelled And Moved To Next Year Due to Covid 19
The following news update has just been emailed to the competitors and volunteers registered for the XPD race in Australia this July:
"It’s a peculiar time we're living in, writing this email from a lockdown - and not the fun type where we have just been given the maps to a great adventure in the wild! Most of you are likely in the same situation and wondering what the future might hold - and in particular what it means for XPD in July.
In organising adventure races there are always interesting challenges thrown up, but in the 18 years we have been running events, the COVID-19 pandemic is the first time we have been hit with something so comprehensively crushing, widespread and completely out of our control - that we can’t find a work around to.
I am sad to say that it is now official, we will not be able to host the 11th edition of XPD planned in North Queensland this July. The situation in a few month's time has too many uncertainties. Many areas out on course have been closed to outsiders to protect the at-risk indigenous inhabitants of that area from the virus. Currently competitors' flights to the race may be doubtful and I can't be certain our race HQ hotel or some National Park transition areas will be open, or even if Queensland will open its borders by then.
Our intention is to cancel everything for 2020 and move the event to 17th-24th of July 2021. I know this is not an ideal situation for anyone involved, and I wish we were still able to run the event this year. Unfortunately, this is the only realistic option going forward.
It is a tough time for everyone, and our thoughts and best wishes are particularly with some of the competitors in XPD who have lost their jobs or businesses due to COVID-19 restrictions. As an adventure racing community, I hope we can all support each other through these difficult times.
Looking forward to 2021 now, all the best,"