Foot Healthcare During an Adventure Race
Martin Duggan / 00.25.1611I have been covering adventure/endurance races now for some 30 years, as a race medic and podiatrist. In this short article I have set down a few thoughts and ideas that I believe are worth considering.
Prevention is Better than Cure
This old adage has a great significance in adventure racing. All past injury and trauma sites should be treated prior to the race starting.
- Nails should be cut and edges rasped/filed 4 days prior to the race start.
- Thickened or broken nails should be reduced to normal thickness (Visit a podiatrist/chiropodist).
- Blackened nails should be trimmed and reduced in thickness.
- Corns and calluses should be removed 4 days prior to the race start.
- Fungal infection should be an ongoing treatment.
Adventure racers should see a podiatrist /chiropodist on a regular basis. They will be able to offer advice and address potential problems at an early stage. A biomechanical examination of your feet and gait is a must for serious athletes.
Maintaining the integrity of your feet should be top priority. To this end, thought should be given to keeping your feet as dry as possible during the race.
- Applying talc (zeasorb) or a moisture repellant (Hydropel) to your feet
- Carrying extra socks in your race kit and at transition areas.
- Wearing moisture wicking socks (coolmax liner).
- Wearing water resistant socks (sealskins).
- Carrying a small towel in a plastic bag for drying your feet. A beer cloth is a good alternative.
- Wearing plastic bags over your socks, but inside your shoes before entering water.
Adventure Racing training
like us on facebook
Adventure Racing Tags
The Lockdown, Sea to Sea Expedition Race, GlobalLimits São Tomé - The Hemisphere Crossing -, Absa Cape Epic, Bike Buller Festival, Patagonia Raid, 2020 LEDLENSER WARTRAIL CHALLENGE PRESENTED BY FLUID KAYAKS, Otway Odyssey Presented By FOCUS, Open 5 Yorkshire Dales, Momentum Medical Scheme Tankwa Trek presented by Biogen, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, adventure racing, expedition racing, Adventure Racing World Series, Eco Challenge, Adventure Racing European Series
Calendar Coming Up
Gobi March Mongolia 2020, CANCELLED: TOUR Transalp 2020, CANCELLED - Maine Summer Adventure Race, Gaelforce West, CANCELLED - Looking Glass Tour, Quest Wales, POSTPONED - Maximum Adventure Race Series - Royal National Park, CANCELLED - Woods Mountain, Trail Running Series - Virtual Race 1, ÖTILLÖ World Series Isles of Scilly, D&W Dark Peak Trail Run, Trail Running Series, Cancelled - The 43rd Three Peaks Yacht Race, CANCELLED - Sasquatch Scrambler, ÖTILLÖ Experience Isles of Scilly, ÖTILLÖ Sprint Isles of Scilly, Calderdale Way Trail Marathon, Fort Yargo Ultra, Calderdale Way Ultra, FISHERMAN'S FRIEND StrongmanRun, Trans Madeira, CANCELLED - Western Sydney Parklands Trail Run, PACA RAID 2020,