The PowerBar Three Peaks Yacht Race

  • UK (GBR)

From Cowes to Barmouth

Team Torbellino / 17.06.2009See All Event Posts Follow Event
Team Torbellino
Team Torbellino
[Many of the yachts taking part have already moored in Barmouth, well ahead of the race start. One of these is Team Torbellino and this account comes from the blog on their team website which is at]

Team Torbellino set off from Cowes on a windless night for what was to be a memorable trip around the South West of Britain. Minimum speed having been set at 7 knots in order to reach our destination in time, we set of under motor. Rotating on a strict 6hrs on/4hrs off system, the team soon settled into a quiet routine.

The wind picked up briefly around South Devon, giving us enough time for some more spinnaker practice. The crew took charge with a variable amount of success. The first cracks in the smooth veneer of the skipper began to show when yet again his instructions (something about luffinguptheforestaywithalazyguy) were misunderstood but calm soon prevailed as the wind dropped again.

A brief but wonderful visit by a shoal of dolphin livened up an otherwise uneventful few hours.

By 6pm on Friday it was felt that a small sherry and a few cans of strongbow would be in order which was enjoyed by all and Team Torbellino approached and rounded Land's End at midnight feeling most relaxed.

All changed as we entered the Irish sea as a brisk North Easterly breeze coming directly out of Barmouth greeted us. The heavy seas, unfavourable winds and strongbow combination proved too much for the majority of the team and Janie's gastronomic delights were experienced for the second time.

Beating up through the Bristol Channel was frustratingly slow and uncomfortable but continued dolphin, whale and even rock seal sightings kept up the spirits.

The weather worsened further as the team approached South Wales and unfavourable tides, driving rain (Wales), strong winds and large waves forced a 3am decision to take shelter.

Having made this decision the skipper headed for a lie down and his trusty crew found their way to Fishguard.

Sheltering behind the harbour wall the team took stock. Not much in Fishguard to tempt the team ashore so clothes were hung to dry, bacon sandwiches were enjoyed and a well earned rest was had by all.

Four hours later, feeling a lot more chipper the team set off again. Daylight helped but the continued NE wind forced a decision to make for Aberwhotsit.

The entrance to harbour saw the cracking of the veneer for the second time. Jim took it on himself to relay the water depth to the rest of the team, his voice rising exponentially as the figures decreased. When he was at near shrieking point he was extremely politely told to shut up (the rudest thing said in 4 days) and the berth was reached without further incident.

All hands were turned to sorting out the boat on Monday which is now sparkling clean, fully equipped and ready to race.

See All Stories On This Race

PayPal Limited Edition SleepMonsters BUFF Patreon SleepMonsters Newsletter SleepMonsters Calendar SignUp

Our Patrons

Adventure Enablers

Danish AR Union

Open Adventure

Rootstock Racing


SleepMonsters Patreon

Thank you to all our

adventure racing


Adventure Enablers

Danish AR Union

Open Adventure

Rootstock Racing

Tanz Navigation

-- -- --

Adventure Race Croatia

Adventure Race Georgia

Brian Gatens

Chris Dixon

-- -- --

Ajita Madan

Chipp Dodd

Celia Nash

David Ellis

Erik Sanders

Graham Bird

Jakub Malik

Josh Hayman

Liam St Pierre

Magnus Foss

Marijn Edelenbosch

Nicola MacLeod

Possum Jump Adventures

Robert Rulison

Strong Machine AR

Your Adventure Maps

-- -- --

Adrian Crane

Barbara Campbell

Dejna Odvody

Ivan Park

Klaus Mygind

Lars Bukkehave

Marco Ponteri

Maria Leijerstam

Nigel Davison

Rob Horton

Semyon Yakimov